2009年4月1日水曜日

The Runch Style Houses


This looks like really American house to me !!


This is my ideal scene of Raunch Style house with beautiful garden.


Rough sketch of a house.

The Runch style houses are my image of typical American house. When I was a child and watched American TV shows, then I saw such type of houses with the American family which an overweight father sits on couch and watch TV with his fat wife.So, when I do image of American houses, first of all I image it. ( It's my fixed idea and I'm afraid to say it to Americans !!)

Well, since I came to America from Japan and took this course, I knew that there are many types of houses and they are mixed built up. Such various styles are very interesting to me. In my country, recently, people tend to build Western style of houses, but I didn't know what type of it. Americans say " why are you interested in American houses ? You can see them in Japan, right ?" but, the houses are not always exactly the same.

Well, according to the website( http://www.architecturalhouseplans.com/home_styles/ranch_house_plans.php), the character of the Runch style (Floor plans) includes

* Wide and rambling
* Almost always one story
* Very low-pitched roof
* Roof may be gabled or hipped
* Often cross-gabled
* Facade width is maximized
* Detailing minimal, but often with decorative shutters
* Moderate to wide eave
* Ribbon windows are common
* Large picture windows in living areas

The above first picture was designed Architect Edward Durell. Since 1956 when it was introduced, the type of house became quite popular. The second one is very beautiful, charming and my ideal runch style. I don't know which age of is. The last one is a rough sketch of a house in 1538 with 3 bedrooms,master bedroom,main floor laundry,2 - piece bathrooms, a kitchen and a large front living room and garden.

Here are some pictures of western-style houses from Japan. Some Japanese houses are designed mixed with Westerns, but most are import houses.



The Japanese house is built mixed with stick style.



The color of the outer wall is very bright yellow. Usually Japanese houses don't use such bright color, always brown, dark brown or white because they are made up with woods.



Here in Japan, our land is not so big. Therefore, some people build such 3 story- houses using upper space effectively. I often see such more than 2 story- houses in Europe.

Well, my sister works for selling houses, so she must be familiar of this topic :-) On the other hand, my father is a gardener who creates Japanese garden. According to him, Japanese garden and western-style houses does not fit at all. He usually doesn't say any complain, but I have known he has a lot that people don't care to create beautiful, original Japanese sublime... I have heard about the foreign visitors who love Japan. When they came to Japan, they would be disappointed at so many western-style houses because they wanted to see more traditional, Japanese-like designs....I know their feelings,but we Japanese people want to shorten the time to build a house and somewhat western-style looks more fashionable and lovely. So,that's why they prefer western one. Well,I think each Japanese person should takes care this issue seriously and should notice how much we have ignored to create beautiful, original Japanese landscape because there are no Japanese spirit in such houses...

2 件のコメント:

  1. It would be great if you could locate and post some images of western-style houses from Japan. I'd love to see what's western about them, and what, as you say, is not exactly the same. Maybe similar to the "Parthenon" church with the Asian decorative motifs on the pediment?

    返信削除
  2. Thanks for your response! It's a good idea that I attach the pictures of western-style house from Japan. I will do that.

    返信削除