2009年4月1日水曜日

Sitcom Suburbs


Here is Tyler street, near South Campus.


California, from " Full House" American TV show.

Mostly every day when I go to North campus, I see the Millersport Highway and have noticed that the unique layout of the houses in the suburb because the stereotype of American houses are bigger than Japanese one. Western people say " Japanese house is like a rabbit house", therefore, when I see such small houses in the USA, it makes me surprise. Basically America has many economic level of people, so I suppose they are probably low income people... I don't know their actual situation, but might be.

Well, when I think about "ticky tacky",I am reminded of the famous, quite popular American TV show "Full House". In the opening scene, I saw such type of houses that Tanner's family live in California.( the above picture is the opening scene of Full House that we usually see in the drama). Well, the houses in Millersport Highway are exactly fit the lyrics " Little Boxed", but like in the case of California, "ticky tacky" is not always small or poor quality, I think.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Square footage has increased greatly since the 50s when the Millersport houses were built. When you consider that the typical family was larger in those days, it makes you think.

    返信削除